General provisions of the Charter
The Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Education "Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University" (hereinafter - the University) is a non-profit organization, established to pursue educational, research, social and cultural goals that serve the public benefit and contribute to satisfying public spiritual and non-material needs of education.
The University is founded by the Russian Federation. The powers and functions of the University founder are exercised by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (hereinafter - the Founder). Founder's address: Russia, 125993, Moscow, ul. Tverskaya, 11.
February 19, 1899 is considered to be the founding date of the University. On that day the Russian Minister of Finance Sergei Witte made a report where it promoted the establishment of the Polytechnic Institute in St. Petersburg. Statutes and ordinances of St. Petersburg Polytechnic Institute were authorized on February 4, 1902. The official opening ceremony of the St. Petersburg Polytechnic Institute was held on October 2, 1902.
Following the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of May 20, 2010, No. 812, the State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education "St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University" was awarded the category "National Research University".
The University's activities conform to the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal laws and regulations, decrees of the President of Russia, of the Government of the Russian Federation, Founders, and other statutory documents legally valid in the Russian Federation, and to the current Charter.
- to satisfy the state and public demand for qualified specialists with university degrees;
- to carry out R&D works for individuals and legal entities on terms of civil law contracts;
- to organize and conduct fundamental and applied research, R&D and technological works that aim to solve crucial problems in different areas, e.g. education, to use the results in the educational process, to develop scientific and academic schools;
- to ensure the systemic modernization of higher education;
- to enhance the University's infrastructure and facilities via exercising property development functions;
- to provide medical care for students and faculty in the University Health Centre, including preventive and curative measures stipulated by the legislation of the Russian Federation;
- to provide IT support to the University's departments and structures, students and faculty; to develop and to apply information networks, data bases, software;
- to create conditions for students and faculty to realize their intellectual and creative potential , to participate in sports, leisure activities using facilities of student fitness boot camps, student recreation centers and hostels owned by the University;
- to publish, to print and to promote educational, academic, scholarly books and monographs.
The University consists of academic departments, profile institutes and territorial affiliates. The University is able to set up affiliated academic and (or) research institutions whose autonomous academic, scientific or research activity must comply with the established statutes and ordinances.
General management of the University is carried out by the Supervisory Board, the Conference of the University's students and faculty, the Academic Council, the Rector, the University President, the Board of Trustees, Institutes' Academic Councils, and the Student Council.