Russian Language for Interpreters
PROGRAM “Translator in the field of professional communication” for foreign citizens (Russian language)
The program of additional education with the qualification “Translator in the field of professional communication” in Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University. The university owns a license on carrying out educational activity and training specialist translators, which grants the right to give out diplomas of additional education (additional to the higher).
Length of the program: 2.5 years (5 semesters).
Start of the course: September 1st and February 10th.
Language of the course: Russian
Mode of study: part-time (classes 3-4 times a week).
Tuition fee: For those who enroll in the academic year 2016/17 — 105 000 RUB/year
- Foreign students from SPbPU and other universities who study in Bachelor’s and Master’s programs;
- Foreign graduates in the following fields: technical, economic, humanitarian (non-philological).
After completing the program graduates are awarded a state diploma of the due form and the qualification “Translator in the field of professional communication.” Such a diploma is valid only upon the existence of a basic diploma of higher education.
Students who have not completed their higher education obtain the diploma only after they graduate from their major course and receive their first degree.
The goal of the studies is to train a specialist translator working in the professional communication field, who is able to translate/interpret, take part in business meetings, presentations and negotiations with foreign partners, deal with correspondence and professional documentation in Russian.
The main objectives of the studies:
- Improvement of the general level of spoken and written Russian;
- Acquisition of universal skills in translating from Russian to the first language and vice versa;
- Use of special terminology in the field of professional activity;
- Acquisition of skills for professional usage of dictionaries and data bases.
General theoretical subjects:
- Introduction to Linguistics;
- Fundamentals of the Russian Language: Lexicology, Morphology, Syntax, Stylistics;
- Stylistics of the First Language;
special practice-oriented subjects:
- Translation Theory;
- Practical Course of Professionally Oriented Translation;
- Theory and Practice of Scientific Language;
- Business Russian;
- Country Studies through Language;
- Practical Course of the Russian Language;
- Translation Traineeship;
- Written translation from Russian to the first language in the field of basic professional activity.
One is expected to have a sufficient proficiency level in Russian to study on the program “Translator in the sphere of professional communication”. The level of proficiency is determined according to an assessment test which may be taken by previous appointment (the test is for free).
In case proficiency in the Russian language needs to be improved for further enrollment on the program “Translator in the sphere of professional communication” language groups are formed on the basis of the Russian language department, Institute of International Educational Programs, SPbPU.
Documents necessary for enrolling on the program “Translator in the field of professional communication”:
- application form;
- certificate from the faculty confirming the fact that the applicant is a university student or a diploma of higher education;
- passport (original and photocopy);
- 4 photos, 3х4 cm in size.
If an applicant is outside the Russian Federation it is necessary to have an invitation drawn up.