Leadership in Communication
15 — 26 JULY, 2019
Do you want to know how does the primary communication professional attain expert influence and success in a leadership position? Join this summer school!
In the framework of the course you will know general principles of leadership and social communication, key scientific concepts about leading, social communication and interaction. Students study main characteristics of leaders and their environments; and strategies, tactics, and tools of leadership. Within the partner university workshop, you will identify your social competencies. Rich extra academic activities will bring you into inner life of the Russian Cultural Capital.
The course provides students with comprehensive introduction to
- Leadership as Communication;
- Skills, Competences and Requirements for Influential Leader;
- Culture and Leadership;
- Teams and leadership. Workshop on Social Competencies.
Arrival: July 13 – 14, 2019
Classes: July 15 – 26, 2019
Departure:: July 27 – 28, 2019
Duration: 2 weeks
ECTS credits: 4.0
- Participation fee: 410 euro
Participation fee includes tuition fee, study materials, visits to companies and cultural program.
The cultural program includes:
- Excursions to the Hermitage, the State Museum of Political History of Russia and the Grand Maket Russia Interactive Museum.
- A field trip;
- A picnic at the seashore of the Gulf of Finland.
Deadline for registration:
- for non-EU citizens: April 22, 2019
- for EU-citizens and citizens of visa-free countries: June 17, 2019 (applicable for Iranian and Indian citizens as well)
- Good command of English. All classes and extracurricular activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of the Russian language is not required.
- Applicants are expected to have at least 2 years of University level studies.
Course description :
The main objective of this course is to acquaint students with the theory of leadership as a special form of social communication, core skills and competencies of an influential leader.
The course is aimed at giving students information about the contemporary traits, skills, competences and requirements for the influential leader in the global environment and in large, complex organizations.
This course is multifaceted and focuses on a collection of related ideas rather than on a single unified theory. Our discussion in this course will center on research that describes culture, its dimensions, and the effect of culture on the leadership process.
The course is designed to explore leadership forms, teams and groups, diversity within teams and groups, handling conflict in teams, and the role of communication in teams and groups. Students will gain an understanding of the theories, concepts, and frameworks that undergird teams and groups and the dynamics of leadership in teams and groups.
The main goal of the workshop is to present and make the characteristic of social competencies, which are increasingly rewarded by the labor market. Especially high – paying jobs require social competencies, such as teamwork, communication and solving problem skills, negotiation and leadership competencies. In the workshop chosen competencies are going to be discussed. Another aim of the course and workshop is to identify social competencies of students.
Professors and lecturers:
SPbPU professors, professors from partner universities, guest lecturers from companies.