Visa Support

If you are planning to undertake a course at the University and are not a national of the country under a visa free regime with Russia you are required to apply for a visa before travelling.


To obtain a visa a foreign national must apply to a diplomatic or consular mission of Russian Federation personally or through their authorized representative and submit the following documents:

  • Main document identifying the foreign citizen or the stateless person,·         Completed visa application with one photo
  • Photo sized 3 × 4 cm
  • Medical insurance policy, unless otherwise stipulated by the international agreements of the Russian Federation
  • If the foreign national applies for an over three months period visa, he must additionally submit an HIV infection certificate

Based on invitations executed by Federal Migration Service offices, ordinary visas of following the following types are issued:

  • private;
  • business;
  • humanitarian;
  • student;
  • working.

To obtain the "Student Visa" applicants should receive from the University an official "Entrance Invitation to Russian Federation" issued by the St. Petersburg and Leningrad region Federal Migration Service.

Student visa contains the following data:

  • Family name and given name (in Roman and Cyrillic characters),
  • Date of birth,
  • Gender, nationality (citizenship),
  • Document number (main document identifying the foreign citizen or the stateless person),
  • Visa issuance date,
  • Allowed duration of stay in the Russian Federation,
  • Invitation number,
  • Validity period of the visa (it should correspond to the "Entrance Invitation to Russian Federation"),
  • Purpose of the trip "education", "post-graduate study", "internship", "courses", "training",
  • Name of the University (for example St.Petersburg State Polytechnical University)
  • Information about the inviting organization,
  • Number of entries (one entry, two entries, multiple entries)
  • A student must enter (arrive) the University according to the deadlines specified in the Invitation letter to study at SPbSPU, and committed no less than 10 days before visa expiry date.

An ordinary Student visa is issued for up to one year period to foreign national entering the Russian Federation in order to study at an educational institution.

Attention! Entrants who apply for a "tourist visa" DO NOT have the right to study or register at SPbPU!


When crossing the borders of the Russian Federation one must receive and fill in a migration card.

Migration card forms are issued to foreign nationals who enter the Russian Federation by:

  • Crew members of aircraft, sea or river vessel – while travelling by air (sea, river);
  • Train crew members – while travelling by train;
  • Drivers – while travelling public road transport (buses);
  • Official customs control – while travelling by personal (private) transport or on foot.

It is allowed to fill in the migration card forms directly in the arrival halls of airports (sea and river ports, auto transition) before the border control.

Arrival and Departure parts of the Migration Card (coupons "A" and "B") should be filled in clearly, without blots and corrections by black, blue or purple pen personally by the holder of the document that gives the right to arrive and stay on territory of the Russian Federation.

In case foreign national does not know Russian, it is allowed to fill in the information in Roman letters according to the data of his passport or other document, proving his identity.

  • The Border Control Officer at the entrance to the Russian Federation takes the completed Arrival part of the Migration Card (coupon "A") with entry marks.
  • Foreign national must keep the completed Departure part of the Migration Card (coupons "B") with marks of entry during the period of his stay on the territory of the Russian Federation and submit it to the Border Control Officer while passing departure passport control procedure.

Upon arrival in Russia it is necessary to register and obtain a notification form of the arrival of a foreign national in the place of residence within 3 business days.

Foreign national can do these procedures at the SPbPU Migration Service. In case this is done with the help of a member of a relative residing in Russian Federation it is obliged to report about the registration and getting notification form of the arrival within 7 days and submit the notification form to the SPbPU Migration Service.

In case of late migration registration a penalty is charged (penalty is from 5000 roubles and deportation).

WHILE STAYING IN THE TERRITORY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION, a student is obliged to watch the documents and comply with all the rules of a foreign national residing within the territory of Russia.

  • In case of damage or loss of a passport, migration card or notification form a foreign national is obliged to notify the SPbPU Migration Service within 3 days.
  • 20 days before the end of the migration registration and the previous visa student is obliged to issue or prolong multiple visa at the Migration Service of the University.
  • If the foreign national violates the rules of migration registration control (e.g. applied to prolonging of migration registration and issue of a new visa on the last day or later), the foreign national will face deportation to his/her home country upon the court decision by transit visa after paying an administrative penalty of 5000 - 7000 roubles or the national will banished from the Russian Federation and denied the entry to the territory of this country for 5 years.
  • If a student leaves Russian Federation on vacation or to visit another city in Russia, the student is obliged to inform the SPbPU Migration Service and issue a new migration registration within 3 days.
  • If a student visits a hotel in St.Petersburg or in another Russian city, and is checked-in at the reception, the student is obliged to inform the SPbSPU Migration Service and issue a new migration registration within 3 days.
  • Accommodation is possible in the University dormitories as well as at private addresses (if there is lease of a residential space). The migration registration is made only by the Migration Service of the University only.


1. After graduation the student must travel home on a transit visa

2.  If the student is dismissed from the University for:

  • Academic failure,
  • Breach of contract,
  • Personal reasons (statement),
  • Health, etc.

The student is issued a transit visa. The student’s registration in the Russian Federation will be shortened on the basis of paragraph 3 of Article 5 of the Federal Law of the Russian Federation dated 25.07.2002 № 115 -FZ "On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation."

To obtain a transit visa and approval of the departure dates from the University migration service the student must have a ticket to his home country. The transit visa is prepared within at least 10 days.

3. In case of an academic leave the student should make a transit visa.

According to Section 3 of Article 31 of the Federal Law of the Russian Federation dated 25.07.2002 № 115 - FZ "On the Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Russian Federation" in case of failure to leave the Russian Federation within the specified period the student will be deported from the Russian Federation and will be prohibited from entering this country within the next 5 years.