Russian State Project "5-100-2020"
The program is designed to ensure that at least five Russian higher education establishments will be among the top one hundred universities in the world by 2020, according to QS World University Rankings.
Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University is one of the 15 Russian higher education establishments that, as a result of a competition, were granted the right to receive a subsidy from the Ministry of Education and Science in order to work towards increasing their competitiveness among the world leading scientific and educational institutions. The competition was one of the measures taken in order to implement the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation "On implementation of the state policy in the sphere of education and science".
In correspondance with the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation No 211 dated March 16th, 2013, an international Council for increasing competitiveness of the leading Russian universities was established headed by D.V. Livanov, the Minister of Education and Science.
The programs aimed at boosting competitiveness of higher education establishments are supposed to ensure:
- building a university excecutives talent pool and encouraging individuals having experience of working for leading foreign and Russian universities, as well as research organisations, to occupy high-ranking positions;
- encouraging young scientists having experience of working for leading foreign and Russian universities, as well as research organisations, to build a career at higher education establishments;
- intensifying the international and domestic academic mobility of the academic staff;
- improving postgraduate training programs;
- introducing educational programs implemented in partnership with the leading foreign and Russian universities;
- encouraging students of the leading foreign unversities to study in Russian higher education establishments, for instance, by means of implementing partnership educational programs together with foreign universities and university associations;
- carrying out research projects whithin the framework of fundamental research programs of the Russian Federation, which also means encouraging the leading foreign and Russian scientists to run such projects;
- carrying out applied research and experimental engineering projects in partnership with Russian and international high technology companies, as well as establishing special divisions at higher education establishments, if necessary.
The roadmap of program 5-100-2020 was designed with respect to the long history of the university development, the continuity of traditions and generations, the current results and achievements in research, education and innovation; it takes into account the key world trends concerning the sphere of research and development, technology and education.
The strategic goal of the SPbPU program is modernizing and developing the Polytechnic University as a competitive global research and education centre integrating top class multidisciplinary scientific research and technology and occupying a position among the leading universities in the world. It is supposed that by 2020 Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University will have been included in the TOP-100 ranking of the QS World University Rankings.