Civil Engineering and Architecture
06 AUGUST — 26 AUGUST, 2018
Looking for a course for true Civil Engineers? Join this Summer School!
The outstanding summer school “Civil Engineering and Architecture” is entirely carried out in English and is cut out for those who are keen on architecture and design solutions. Staying in our charming city with its marvellous architecture would be of a great value and contribution to this course.
We welcome students to come to St. Petersburg - the Venice of the North! St. Petersburg is the cultural heart of Russia as well as a major trade gateway, financial and industrial centre. You will definitely enjoy staying in Saint-Petersburg and having fun while summer holidays.
Arrival: August 03 – 05, 2018
Classes: August 06 – August 24, 2018
Departure: August 25 – 27, 2018
Duration: 3 weeks
ECTS credits: 5.0
Regular registration fee: 740 euro
Participation fee includes tuition fee, study materials, visits to companies and cultural program.
The cultural program includes:
- Boat city tour for students to get acquainted with the beauty of the city.
- Excursion to the Hermitage, one of the world’s largest and oldest museums of fine art.
- Visit to the “Baltika” Brewery/"Coca-Cola" factory where students can learn about the construction and logistic peculiarities of the plant.
- Picnic at the seashore of the Gulf of Finland where students can enjoy Russian style barbecue.
- Excursion to Pushkin, former tzar summer residence famous for its palace and park ensemble. Students will visit the outstanding Catherine Palace with glorious Amber room (optional, for extra price).
- Excursion to Peterhof palace-ensemble with picturesque gardens, a countless number of fountains and giant golden statues (optional, for extra price).
Deadline for registration:Early bird deadline:
- for non-EU citizens: April 16, 2018
- for EU citizens: May 21, 2018
- for non-EU citizens: May 21, 2018
- for EU citizens: July 02, 2018
- Good command of English. All classes and extracurricular activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of the Russian language is not required.
- Applicants are expected to have at least 2 years of University level studies.
The course introduces the basics of the BIM (Building Information Modeling), its conception, available software and ways to use this technology in real work process.
This course discusses how BIM provides contractors with the benefit of improved visualization of a construction project through the use of a 3D virtual model, establish a base of knowledge of BIM terminology and look at the benefits of BIM and case studies showing implementation before encouraging participants to study how they could implement BIM. Students do not only acquire a profound professional and methodical education but also the communication skills and cross-cultural experience necessary for future international management posts. The BIM program contains not only general BIM conception, but also its problems, solutions, ways to use and comparison of main software available today, and real experience of using it:
- Autodesk Revit – world-leading BIM platform, allowing create and manage projects faster and more economically;
- SCAD – top Russian software for building structural analysis;
- SOFiSTiK– complex and strong solution for Finite Element Analysis, able to calculate most complex systems.
Each project member can retrieve information from one coordinated database – any views (plans, sections, 3Ds, …), schedules, clash analysis.
The course is based on a real experience of BIM implementation in leading Russian’s project and construction companies, BIM software teaching.
The lectures cover the essential features BIM modeling and leading software. In addition to the classroom discussions students will have an opportunity to visit one of the biggest project companies of Saint-Petersburg.
The course introduces to the basics of CAD technologies (3D modeling and animation) and also helps to acquire skills in spatial drawing and sketching.
It consists of 2 blocks: sketching and computer visualization. During the short sketching class, the students are given theoretical basis of perspective drawing and produce a series of sketches of a building. These sketches are developed further during the Computer Design studies which include basics of three-dimensional computer modeling, animation and stereo-graphics. Students get to know the software (3dsmax or Maya) and focus on modeling, animation and visualization of an architectural model from the sketches developed during drawing class. The work is done in teams and each participant is responsible for creating a part of a more complex 3D model. Final assessment includes presentations from each team.
The course is based on the facilities of IT in design department of SPbPU which includes fast rendering clusters and stereo-projectors.
The main purpose of the course is to acquaint students with the principal trends of Russian architecture in a historical context. The course introduces the history of building of St. Petersburg, the main architectural styles, outstanding architectural objects and their architects. The course introduced the basic geological, hydrological and geo-political terms and preconditions for the construction of St. Petersburg, the main building stages - the city basis, the first buildings, building periods. Supposed to study the most famous architects who participated in the construction of the city, the classification of architectural styles of St. Petersburg; the most outstanding architectural monuments - palaces, cathedrals, churches, bridges, the areas, museums. The course also includes a discussion of contemporary issues of historic buildings. Along with the theoretical classes student had a long open-air class during which they walked with the professor around the city and studied the architectural features of the buildings of Saint-Petersburg.
6-hours intensive course of Survival Russian is also included into the syllabus.
Professors and lecturers:
Aleksandr Vysotskiy, CEO of Vysotskiy consulting, expert in BIM;
Tatiana Khvatova, Dr of Science;
Autodesk Authorized Training Center;
Autodesk Expert Elite.