15 – 26 JULY, 2019
Are you keen on gastronomy and food? Do you crave to taste Russian cuisine? Join this Summer School course and enjoy gastronomic art in the most charming city!
Our unique course is specifically designed for those who are willing to understand how fragrant breakfast buns appear out of flour and water or raw potatoes are transformed into crunchy chips at the molecular level. You will learn whether the focused control of these complex physical and chemical processes is possible or cooking is the high art of avant-garde gastronomy though.
During the course students are engaged with interactive lectures and training cooking classes with tasting sessions. These classes are designed to provide students with the new skills of cooking popular dishes of traditional and modern Russian cuisine.
Students will gain theoretical knowledge and practical experience of:
- Running physico-chemical processes in cooking;
- Developing innovative technologies in modern and avant-garde gastronomy;
- Making fermented milk products;
- Cooking some traditional Russian dishes.
Arrival: Jul 13 – 14, 2019
Classes: Jul 15 – 26, 2019
Departure: Jul 27 – 28, 2019
ECTS credits (total): 4.0
- Early bird registration fee: 510 euro
- Regular Registration fee: 540 euro
Participation fee includes tuition fee, study materials, visits to companies and cultural program.
The cultural program includes:
- Boat city tour for students to get acquainted with the beauty of the city.
- Excursion to the Hermitage, one of the world’s largest and oldest museums of fine art.
- Pub Quiz in the city center of St. Petersburg.
- Visit to the “Baltika” Brewery/"Coca-Cola" factory where students can learn about the construction and logistic peculiarities of the plant.
- Picnic at the seashore of the Gulf of Finland where students can enjoy Russian style barbecue (optional, for extra price).
- Excursion to Pushkin, former tzar summer residence famous for its palace and park ensemble. Students will visit the outstanding Catherine Palace with glorious Amber room (optional, for extra price).
- Excursion to Peterhof palace-ensemble with picturesque gardens, a countless number of fountains and giant golden statues (optional, for extra price).
Deadline for registration:
Early bird deadline: March 25,2019
- for non-EU citizens: April 22, 2019
- for EU citizens: May 27, 2019
- Good command of English. All classes and extracurricular activities are conducted in English. Knowledge of the Russian language is not required.
- Applicants are expected to have at least 2 years of University level studies.
- Microorganisms in food and raw material for food / lectures – 2 hours /
- Morphology of microorganisms used in the production of bakery products, fermented milk products and non-alcoholic beverages / workshop – 4 hours /
- Microbiological processes in food production / lectures – 2 hours /
- Preparation of traditional Russian dishes with the help of microorganisms / workshop – 4 hours /
- Science in the Kitchen or physico-chemical processes in gastronomy / lectures – 2 hours /
- Development of flavour, colour and texture during food preparation / lectures – 4 hours /
- Avant-garde gastronomy / lectures – 2 hours /
- Innovative technologies and ingredients in avant-garde gastronomy / lectures – 4 hours /
- Preparation of dishes, products and drinks of Russian cuisine / practical classes – 5 hours /
- Preparation of flour products of different national cuisine / practical classes – 5 hours /
- Presentation and tasting individual project (dish, product) / practical classes – 6 hours /
- Intensive course of Survival Russian / 6 hours /
PROFESSORS AND LECTURERS:
Dr of Science Yulia Bazarnova,
PhD Svetlana Eliseeva,
PhD Nadezhda Zhilinskaya,
Kirill Klukvin (Chef)