In the past century over 150,000 specialists graduated from the University. An impressive number of them became Laureates of the most prestigious national and international awards (e.g. Nobel prize), holders and winners of honorary and distinguished awards, Members and Corresponding Members of the national Academy of Sciences, founders of new research directions and schools.
Throughout all its history the Polytechnic University has been headed by outstanding people - prominent scientists, talented engineers, high-skilled higher education managers.
|January 1900 - February1907||Gagarin А.G.|
|March 1907 - September 1907||Posnikov А.S.|
|September 1907 - September 1908||Meshcherskiy I.V.|
|September 1908 - September 1911||Posnikov А.S.|
|September 1911 - September 1917||Skobeltsyn V.V.|
|September 1917 - December 1918||Radzig А.А.|
|December 1918 - May 1919||Shatelen М.А.|
|May 1919 - November 1919||Levinson-Lessing F.Y.|
|November 1919 - August 1921||Ruzsky D.P.|
|August 1921 - January 1922||Zalutsky L.V.|
|January 1922 - June 1925||Vorobiev B.Е.|
|June 1925 - October 1928||Baikov А.А.|
|November 1928 - August 1929||Kobozev P.А.|
|August 1929 - December 1929||Shumsky А.D.|
|February 1930 - June 1930||Davtyan Y.C.|
|from 1930 to 1934||The Institute is divided into several industrial institutes|
|July 1934 - July 1935||Shreiber G.Y.|
|July 1935 - July 1936||Tyurkin P.А.|
|August 1936 - July 1937||Evdokimov V.G.|
|September 1937 - June1938||Novikov K.V.|
|June 1938 - November 1940||Smirnov S.А.|
|November 1940 - December 1941||Tyurkin P.А.|
|March 1942 - September 1944||Serdyukov S.А.|
|September 1944 - June 1946||Kalantarov P.L.|
|June 1946 - June 1951||Shmargunov К.N.|
|June 1951 - March 1956||Alabyshev А.F.|
|March 1956 - March 1973||Smirnov V.S.|
|April 1973 - October 1983||Seleznev К.P.|
|May 1983 - October 2003||Vasiliev Y.S.|
|October 2003 - May 2011||Fedorov М.P.|
|May 2011||Rudskoi А.I.|
Among scientists who studied and worked in the Polytechnic University are Nobel Prize winners:
- Verner Albring, Dresden University of Technology, Germany, First Honorary Doctor of SPbSPU (former LPI), 1984.
- Jiři Klima, Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic, 1986.
- Markus Speidel, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zűrich, Switzerland, 1987.
- Hinrich Seidel, Hannover University, Germany, 1989.
- Boleslaw Mazurkiewicz, Gdansk University of Technology, Poland, 1989.
- Herbert Kraus, Karl-Franzens University, Graz, Austria, 1989.
- Fu-Hengzhi, Northwest Polytechnic University, Xian, P.R. China, 1990.
- Hermann Maurer, Graz University of Technology, Austria, 1990.
- Ni Weidou, Tsinghua University, P.R. China, 1991.
- Svetlozar Rachev, University of California, Santa Barbara, the USA, 1992.
- John Argiris, Stuttgart University, Germany, 1993.
- Herman Branover, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel, 1993.
- Heinz Bergmann, Graz University of Technology, Austria, 1993.
- Robert Rutford, University of Texas at Dallas, the USA, 1993.
- Helmut Seitz, Reutlingen University, Germany, 1994.
- Ludwik Finkelstein, City University, London, United Kingdom, 1994.
- Rolf Schönfeld, Dresden University of Technology, Germany, 1995.
- Michael Shur, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, the USA, 1995.
- Ervin Stain, Hannover University, Germany, 1995.
- The Most Reverend John, the Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, Russia, 1995.
- Shigeru Sudo, National Institute for Fusion Science, Japan, 1995.
- Friedrich Wenzel, Hannover University, Germany, 1995.
- John Tegopulos, National Technical University of Athens, Greece, 1995.
- Saparmurad Niyazov, the first President of Turkmenistan, 1995.
- Hanno Schaumburg, Hamburg University of Technology, Germany, 1996.
- Franz Zigler, Vienna University of Technology, Austria, 1996.
- Gu Lo-Guan, Chongqing University, P.R. China, 1996.
- Charles Hirsch, Free University of Brussels, Belgium, 1997.
- Adolf Shwab, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1997.
- Zbigniew Ciok, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland, 1997.
- Victor Sadovnichy, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia, 1998.
- Boris Paton, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 1998.
- Jacues Amouroux, University of Pierre and Marie Curie, Paris, France, 1999.
- Kari Eklund, South-Karelia Polytechnic, Finland, 1999.
- Kai Siegbahn, Uppsala University, Sweeden, 1999.
- Stefan Berczinski, Szczecin University of Technology, Poland, 1999.
- Yuri Osipov, President of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia, 1999.
- Bernhard Shrefler, University of Padua, Italy, 1999.
- Lorenzo Morillas Cueva, University of Granada, Spain, 1999.
- Michel Ianoz, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Lausanne, Switzerland, 1999.
- Jürgen Graul, Hannover University, Germany, 2000.
- Zhores Alferov, RAS Ioffe Physical and Technological Institute, Russia, 2000.
- Werner Zielke, Hannover University, Germany, 2000.
- Michael Tendler, Stockholm Royal Institute of Technology, 2001.
- Klaus Peter Schmidt, Limburg University Centre, Diepenbeek, Belgium, 2001.
- Georg Obieglo, University of Reutlingen, Germany, 2001.
- Manfred Thumm, Germany, Research Centre Karlsruhe, Germany, 2001.
- Evgenyi Primakov, President of the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Russia, 2001.
- Ludmila Verbitskaya, St. Petersburg State University, Russia, 2001.
- Hassan Risheh, Minister of Higher Education of Syrian Arabic Republic, 2002.
- The Most Reverend Vladimir, the Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, Russia, 2002.
- Jan Krysinski, Technical University of Lodz, Poland, 2003.
- Mykhailo Zgurovsky, National Technical University of Ukraine – Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, Ukraine, 2003.
- Christian Nedess, Hamburg University of Technology, Germany, 2003.
- Abay Tursunov, Kazakh al’ Faraby National University, 2003.
- William Morris, Culham Science Centre, United Kingdom, 2004.
- Xiong Jia-Jiong, Tsinghua University, P.R. China, 2004.
- David Rhind, City University London, United Kingdom, 2006.
- Yigal Ronen, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel, 2007.
- His Holiness Patriarch KIRILL of Moscow and All Russia, 2007.
- Erich Barke, Leibniz University Hannover, Germany, 2008.
- Rudolf Schilling, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany, 2008.
- Hans Irschik, Johannes Kepler University, Linz, Austria, 2008.
- Constantine Arcoumanis, City University London, United Kingdom, 2009.
- Giovanni Arvedi, Chairman of Arvedi Group, Italy,
- Terence G., Langdon , University of Southampton, United Kingdom, 2016
- Wolfram Ressel, University of Stuttgart, Germany, 2015
- John T. Phiri, Ministry of Education, Science, Vocational Training and Early Education, Zambia, 2014
- Subra Suresh, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2017
- Martin Gitsels, Siemens, Russia, 2017
- Chen Xu, Tsinghua University, P.R. China, 2017
- László Ungvári, Kazakh-German University, Kazakhstan, 2017
- Wilfried Stoll, FESTO Group, Germany, 2018
- Sir Paul Curran, City, University of London, UK, 2019
- Jörg Steinbach, Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, Germany, 2019
- Dr. Volker Epping, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Germany, 2019
- Valentina Matvienko, the Governor of St. Petersburg, Russia, 2002.
- Guido Van Oost, Ghent University, Belgium, 2003.
- Sveinung Loset, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway, 2004.
- Kim Gee Yim, Honorary Consul General of the Republic of Korea in St. Petersburg, 2004.
- Anneli Pirtilla, South Karelia Polytechnic, Finland, 2004.
- Carel van Eijk, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands, 2005.
- Baldur Veit, Reutlingen University, Germany, 2006.
- Constantine Arcoumanis, City University London, United Kingdom, 2006.
- Uwe Heisel, University of Stuttgart, Germany, 2007.
- Arthur E. Bergles, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA, 2007.
- Ilia Klebanov, Presidential Plenipotentiary Envoy to the Northwest Federal District of Russian Federation, 2008.
- Alexander Bogatov, "Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin", Russia, 2008.
- Jeurgen Bohl, Diehl BGT Defence Gmbh & Co. KG, Germany, 2008.
- Sanowar H. Khan, City University London, United Kingdom, 2009.
- Gerd Schimansky-Geier, InWEnt gGmbH, Bonn, Germany, 2009.16. Jorg Seume, Leibniz University Hannover, Germany, 2010.