Institute of Energy
The Institute of Energy and Transport Systems includes two divisions: Electromechanical and Power Plant Engineering.
The Electromechanical (ElMech) division created on the basis of the Electromechanical Faculty is aimed at teaching students in the field of electricity generation, transmission and distribution, as well as creation and maintenance of electrotechnical, electromechanical and electrophysical equipment for power plants, electrical grids, manufacturing plants and new electro technologies.
The Electromechanical division comprises the following departments:
- Electric Power Plants and Power System Automation
- Electrical Power Systems and Networks
- High Voltage Engineering, Electrical Insulation and Cable Technology
- Electrical Machines
- Electrical Power Engineering and Equipment
- Theoretical Electrical Engineering
The Power Plant Engineering division (PPE) was established on the basis of the Power Plant Engineering Faculty founded in 1934. The scientists and graduates of the faculty contributed a lot to the power industry and defense capability of Russia. Currently, this division is one of the leading centers for training specialists in the sphere of heat and power engineering, power engineering and transport machine building industry, and it possesses unique teaching and research facilities that enable training top-class specialists. In the field of research and teaching the division closely cooperates with the largest manufacturing plants and scientific centers such as: Kirovsky Zavod plant, JSC “Zvezda” plant, JSC “Klimov” plant, NPO CKTI (Scientific and Production Association for research and design of power engineering equipment named after I. Polzunov JSC), All-Russian Research Institute of Transport Machine Building, LNPP (Leningrad Nuclear Power Plant), JSC “REP Holding”, Power Machines JSC.
The Power Plant Engineering division includes the following departments:
- Nuclear and Heat Power Engineering
- Turbines, Hydro Machines and Aircraft Engines
- Reactors, Steam Generators and Boiler Plants
- Compressor, Vacuum and Refrigeration Equipment
- Engines, Vehicles and Track Laying Machines
- Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer