Continuum Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications
Looking for opportunities to get profound knowledge in Continuum Mechanics? Join our program!
No enrollment in 2023
The Master's Degree Program Continuum Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications is aimed to prepare masters, who are able to formulate and solve a wide range of problems arising in various fields of continuum mechanics – both of mechanics of solids and fluids, with focus on interdisciplinarity, in strong connection with engineering applications in hi-tech and advanced manufacturing technologies – in the spirit of the STEM Education concept aimed at obtaining 21st century skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Being enrolled in MSc Program “Continuum mechanics: fundamentals and applications” means practically oriented learning, mentoring and scientific guidance from prominent professors of the Institute of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics of St. Petersburg Polytechnic University (Departments of Mechanics and Processes Control, Hydroaerodynamics, Applied Mathematics, Continuum Mechanics), recognized scientists from the Institute for Problems in Mechanical Engineering of Russian Academy of Science that is one of the leading research institutions in the field of mechanics of materials, and invited professors from top world universities: TU Berlin, TU Delft, École Polytechnique, University of Illinois at Chicago and etc.
Program profile. Major areas of expertise:
|Computational Solid and Fluid Mechanics||6 ECTS|
Research and Modeling Seminar:
All students are given a problem-project to solve either individually or in minigroups, and the results are then discussed altogether
Mechanics and Applied Mathematics in Sciences and Technologies:
blocks of lectures given by leading scientists from European and USA universities on various topics in mechanics and applied mathematics
|Master Thesis||30 ECTS|
|Total :||120 ECTS|
Modules at course “Mechanics and Applied Mathematics in Sciences and Technologies”:
||W. H. Müller||
||W. T. van Horssen||
- Deep learning of basic subjects of continuum mechanics supplemented by development of mathematical background.
- Interdisciplinarity, which is a current trend in mechanics, and the program topics include phase transformations, mechanochemistry, biological systems etc.
- The graduates will obtain the skills and develop critical thinking which are necessary to do both fundamental and applied research, using theoretical and computational mechanics of solids, gas and fluids in one pack, and, thus, beneficial for prospective international career in research institutes, centers and laboratories or employment at R&D and engineering departments of oil and gas, car-making, power and engineering and etc.
- Mentoring and scientific guidance from prominent professors of the Institute of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics of St. Petersburg Polytechnic University and recognized scientists from the Institute for Problems in Mechanical Engineering of Russian Academy of Science and invited professors from top world universities.
- Broad international contacts, which we are eager to share with our students for their future career;
- Cross-cultural studies and extracurricular activities at SPbPU.
- Unique opportunities for international academic mobility: a semester abroad at one of SPbPU partner universities.
- Technical University of Berlin (Germany)
- Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands)
- ParisTech (France)
- Ecole Polytechnique (France)
- Aalto University (Finland)
- Staying in the most beautiful city of Russia - Saint-Petersburg - will reward you with unforgettable experience!
Duration: 2 years (4 semesters)
Duration of each semester: 16 weeks
Program format: full-time studies
- lectures and seminars
- exercises and practice associated with lectures
- applied research project
Semester and beginning of studies: Fall semester - September, 01
Tuition fee per year:
- 367 800 Rubles
Award: Master of Science
You are kindly required to fill in an on-line application. International applicants may find additional information concerning admission at SPbPU web-site.
Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University